For many people, the idea of going to university is something they think about during all of their secondary education.

Ever herd of ETIAS – the new European tourist visa? Here is all you need to know.

Graduating can become a truly exhausting endurance test when you don’t make the right choice or when you receive no encouragement during the process. For this reason, many people investigate the possibility of studying their degree in universities not located in their native country that, not only have excellent reputations, but also offer foreign students the opportunity to live many interesting experiences.

If this is your case, I invite you to read this article to learn all about what you need to do to study in a Spanish university.

First, you need to know that in Spain, there are both public and private universities.

The public universities are financed by the government and the tuition fees are lower than that those of a private university. These fees vary depending on the degree you choose and the city where the university is located. In some cases, in order to be accepted, you need to reach the university’s minimum grade.

In contrast to the public universities, the private universities have much higher tuition fees, although they are not as difficult to get into since, in many cases, entrance only depends on the payment of the tuition fees.

  • University admission in Spain:

First you need to decide which Spanish university you would like to attend, because each study centre has its own admissions system.

Check here if you are eligible to travel to Europe with the new European online travel permit ETIAS.

Once you are clear on this, the first thing an international student must do is obtain accreditation to request a place on a degree course. This is just a digital document that can be directly accessed by the universities using the UNEDasiss web platform.

  • Visa:

If you are going to travel in order to study in Spain, another basic step is to obtain a visa including your initial authorisation to stay in the country. However, people born in certain countries will not require this visa, as long as their stay does not exceed three months.

If your studies in Spain last for more than three months, you will need to go either to the Foreign Nationals Office or to the corresponding police station to get your foreign student card, within one month of arriving in the country. This gives you the right to obtain a resident’s permit for the duration of your studies and also allows you to work part-time in companies which have agreements with the universities.

  • Budget:

When planning your budget for going to university in Spain, you should take several points into account:

  • If you choose a private university, remember that the cost of a degree is much higher than in a public university and can reach up to 15,000 euros a year.
  • Every year the government regulates the price of official qualifications, so you need to stay informed of all the updates.
  • In general, humanities degrees are not as expensive as science degrees.
  • The cost of the professional training of a student varies depending on the university, the autonomous community and the course that you choose.
  • If you fail an exam and need to reregister for a subject, you must pay the charges set by the university.
  • New students also need to take into account other factors, as well as the admission fee, such as, for example, the opening of their new file in the university.

See also: Education in Europe

A popular way of getting an approximate idea of the admission cost is to multiply the total credits in which you want to enrol by the amount of each credit.

  • Grants:

The Spanish government is responsible for subsidising grants through official organisations in order to encourage cultural exchanges in the country.

One of the best options to obtain this type of help for your studies are the grants offered by the Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AECID) (Spanish Agency for International Cooperation). They are granted annually and are normally given for postgraduate studies.

Other programmes offering grants for foreign students include:

  • Grants from Fundación Carolina.
  • Santander grants.
  • Asociación Universitaria Iberoamericana (AUIP) postgraduate grants.
  • Erasmus +.

You need to start the process to obtain one of these grants at least a year in advance, have very good grades, not have grants or student loans from other institutions and be able to show evidence of your financial situation.

Moreover, many universities have their own grants systems and it is a good idea to investigate which option is best for you.

I hope that the information above has been helped you make a final decision or, at least, to evaluate the possibility of studying in this marvellous country.